- 3 lbs beef top round roast, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons Italian salad dressing mix or see below for homemade
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 oz jar pepperoncini
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 8 (2 oz) pieces whole wheat Italian or French bread (or gluten free bread)
- 8 slices Sargento Provolone Ultra Thin
Homemade Italian Seasoning (use 4 teaspoons):
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sugar or stevia
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Pat the roast dry with a paper towel. Combine the onion powder, black pepper and salt and rub all over the roast then place into the slow cooker.
- Add the Italian salad dressing mix, broth, garlic and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high 5 to 6 hours or low 10 to 12 hours, until very tender and easily shreds with two forks.
- When done, remove bay leaf and shred the beef. Add 1 cup of the pepperoncinis and the bell peppers to the slow cooker, cover and cook high 30 minutes or low 1 hour.
- To serve, top each roll or bread with 3 oz meat mixture, top with 1 slice cheese, and some of the remaining pepperoncinis. Serve the remaining liquid as a dip for the sandwich, if desired. If desired, place the bread under the broiler 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese. Enjoy!