- 2 bunches kale (about 1½ pounds), preferably lacinato
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 large heads broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets (about 12 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Spectrum Naturals Olive Oil Extra Virgin, Organic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more for garnish
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Maldon sea salt (optional)
- Remove tough stems and ribs from kale; coarsely chop the greens. Cook the kale in ½ cup water in a large skillet over medium-high heat, covered, until barely tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander. Cook broccoli the same way with the remaining ½ cup water. Transfer the kale to a large bowl; drain the broccoli in the colander. Wipe the pan dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the kale and cook, stirring often, until tender and browned in spots, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the bowl. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring often, until tender and browned in spots, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the bowl.
- Heat butter, garlic and crushed red pepper in the pan over medium heat until the butter is melted. Cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is light brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle the butter over the vegetables and sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon salt; gently toss to combine. Serve topped with a sprinkling of Maldon sea salt and crushed red pepper, if desired.