- 4 portions
- 250ml lukewarm water
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1 ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 475g strong white (bread) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1. Mix the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes until it has started to froth, then stir in the olive oil.
- 2. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. Pour in the yeasty mixture and mix together with your hands until you form a soft dough.
- 3. Pop the dough onto your work surface and knead with the heal of your hand for 5-10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Do not flour the work surface as this will dry out the dough.
- 4. Lightly oil a bowl and pop your dough in. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour.
- 5. Lightly dust your work surface with flour, then place your dough on it and give it one good punch to let any air out. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and pop onto a lined tray, cover with a tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 6. Roll out each ball of dough until quite thin. Coat with pizza sauce, grated mozzarella and your choice of toppings. Bake in a hot oven for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden.
notes: balls of dough can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days or frozen until required