- 1 (16 oz) loaf day old French bread
- 2 and ½ cup milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 and ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pecan, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Cube bread the place in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, milk, half & half, sugar, salt, and vanilla to eggs; whisk. Pour over bread. Allow to sit 10 to 15 minutes
- In another small bowl, combine with a fork, softened butter, brown sugar, and pecans. Mixture will have the consistency of wet sand.
- Pour half of the bread mixture into a 8×8 inch pan.
- Top with half the pecan mixture.
- Spoon remaining bread mixture over and top with remaining pecan mixture. Press down into pan slightly. Pan will be really full.
- Top with remaining pecan mixture.
- Place pan on a cookie sheet with a edge to catch mixture that may boil over. Bake at 350* 45 to 55 minutes. Center will be slightly wiggly, but will set when cool. This recipe easily doubles for a 9×13 pan.