Note: If you are using canned low sodium beef stock instead of our brown stock recipe, cook down three quarts of the canned beef stock to make two quarts. However be sure to check the taste at the end of the recipe before adding salt.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 ½ cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef (80/20)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts brown stock (see here) or strong low sodium beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mini Pasta – bow tie, alphabet, star-shaped, etc
- In a 5-quart pot or Dutch oven, sauté onions and celery in half of the olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Push vegetables to sides of pot, increase heat to medium high and place the rest of the olive oil in center. Add beef and break up with wooden spoon and sauté until beef is cooked.
- Return to medium heat and add tomato paste. Mix in the paste and cook for one more minute.
- Add diced tomato, brown stock, dried thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off any fat and foam that floats to the top.
- Increase heat to medium high and add spinach and parmesan. Cook for five more minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- Place pasta in serving bowl, ladle in soup and top with more Parmesan cheese.