- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 3/4-inch slices*
- 1/2 cup whole milk, or as needed
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Melt butter in a microwave safe dish and set aside to cool a bit.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange bread slices in baking dish, either flat and tightly fit together, or standing at an angle and slightly overlapping if necessary.
- Whisk milk, eggs, maple syrup, molasses, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and salt together in a bowl. Mix in the melted butter.
- Pour milk and egg mixture over bread, turning to ensure slices are evenly moistened on both sides or use a basting brush to help coat the bread. Cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove dish from the refrigerator and uncover, then use a basting brush to brush the bread with any excess liquid right before baking.
- Bake in preheated oven until slices are firm and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with maple syrup.