- 4 oz (120 g) unsweetened or semisweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 8 oz (240 g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract
- 4 oz (120 g) Canadian Cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter two 9-in (24 cm) cake pans. Line with parchment or waxed paper rounds. Butter again.
- Chocolate Cake
Combine chopped chocolate and cocoa. Pour boiling water over mixture. Stir to melt. Cool slightly. Cream butter. Beat in sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
- Sift flour with baking powder and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix ingredients only until blended.
- Divide batter between pans. Bake 45 to 50 min or until center springs back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool 10 min. Invert onto cooking racks.
- Fudge Icing
Place chocolate, cocoa, milk and butter in top of a double boiler. Heat gently over simmering water just until chocolate melts. Mixture should be smooth. Cool slightly. Beat in icing sugar and vanilla extract. Chill until spreadable.
- Combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the Fudge Icing with the Cream cheese. Beat until smooth. Reserve for the decoration.
- Using the Fudge Icing sandwich the two layers of cake together. Frost the top and sides. Decorate as desired with the chocolate frosting with the Cream cheese