For the cookie dough filling
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
For the Ganache
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Start by lining a 9×9-inch or 8×8-inch square pan with a sheet of parchment paper, making sure that the edges of the paper are large enough to extend up the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until well combined.
- With the mixer on a low speed, alternate adding in the flour and the sweetened condensed milk until all of it has been added and the mixture is completely blended. Fold in the mini chocolate chips by hand until evenly blended.
- Press the cookie dough into the prepared pan and press down to spread the dough evenly to the edges. (I found it helpful to put a piece of plastic wrap over the dough while I pressed down.)
- Cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm – at least 3 hours or overnight.
- The next day, prepare the ganache at least a few hours before serving. In microwave safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips and cream. Heat on high for one minute and stir the chocolate chips and cream together. Continue heating in 30 second increments and stirring after each until the chocolate chips are fully melted and combined with the cream.
- Pour the ganache over the cookie dough bars, spreading evenly to the edges of the bars. Chill the bars for a least one hour or until the ganache is set.
- When ready to serve, carefully pull up on the edges of the parchment paper and remove the chilled cookie dough from the pan. Using a long knife, cut the dough into bite-sized bars and serve.