- 3 whole chicken breasts
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed and dried
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups homemade biscuit mix (or use store-bought)
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375º F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring up to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Rub chicken all over with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and let cool before removing from bone and rough-chopping.
- In a large sauce pot or Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat until melted, then add pearl onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes, or until softened and just lightly browned.
- Sprinkle flour over the butter and onions and stir so that a smooth paste forms.
- Cook roux for 2 minutes, then slowly mix in chicken stock, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in heavy cream, then stir in cooled potatoes and diced chicken. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and place on lined baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare biscuits by cutting butter into biscuit mix until mixture resembles small pebbles.
- Stir in sour cream and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a clean, flat surface to 1/4-inch thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut out 6-10 biscuits.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and arrange biscuits on top of stew. Return to oven and cook for another 12-15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, serve hot.