Back to Top
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 peeled and cored Gala apple, cut into ½ inch pieces (or any hard baking apple will also work)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
For the Glaze (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium pan melt butter and remove from heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in sugar to dissolve. Add vanilla and stir again.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Once the sugar mixture is cool, blend in the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add the dry mix to the sugar mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the apples and nuts and stir.
- Butter an 8X8 pan and spread batter in evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Five minutes before the pan comes out of oven, place glaze mixture in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil on medium and stir for one minute.
- As soon as the pan comes out of the oven, pour over glaze then with a sharp knife, cut 4 rows x 4 rows into 16 pieces.
- With a spatula, remove each piece to a platter and cool, or serve warm.Source : allrecipes.com